road-tripping the end of the world

Archive for March, 2013

bookbinding – the finished ‘prop’

I hesitate to call it a ‘prop’ at this point because it feels so much more like the ‘real thing’, but the object itself is complete, it’s just waiting for the text to be written inside. Two more layers of stain ‘finished’ the job, a little bit more crimson paint, but I’m fairly satisfied with the final product, it has a slightly aged look, with suggestions of things that might, or might not, be blood stains and fire damage.

DSC_0772 DSC_0773 DSC_0774 DSC_0775

 

Hoping to work on and maybe even execute a prototype work for this series that will give the book some “screen test” time soon, we shall see.

Advertisements

bookbinding – over-layers of stain, blood, ash! (the once and future king)

Base layer of stain down, metal-leaf done, all that was left was a few more layers of stain and some other adornments. As seems to be typical, once the leather is wet, the “look” goes quite dark, so I had to let things dry over a day to really tell how strong the effect was.

Shortly after staining, first layer after the metal leaf:

DSC_0763

 

DSC_0771

 

And sometime the next day after it dried:

DSC_0764 DSC_0765 DSC_0766

 

And the second layer of the day, still wet:

DSC_0769 DSC_0770

 

For these layers I also added a few embellishments, some very faint traces of alizarin crimson acrylic paint, and just a touch of india ink in some places. The wet surface nicely suffused these tints into the grain of the leather and the end-product (eventually) had some subtle suggestions of burn-damage or blood stains.

Final pics in a day or two, and hopefully some test-shots “in-studio”.


bookbinding – base staining, metal leaf (the once and future king)

The book is all but finished, figured I’d break up the “in progress” photos into a few posts.

After imprinting the covers, I decided to allow the book a few days to rest and dry, just to make sure the imprint stayed – it did nicely, and meanwhile I experimented with some of the water-based (I think acrylic) stain I had on hand for the leather, and the metal leaf I was planning to use. I “concluded” the best approach was to apply a base stain, then do the metal leaf on the lettering, and then work up the effect from there.

To (hopefully) get a more even effect with the stain, I wet the leather with water first, and then applied a diluted solution of the stain with a sponge brush. Initially it looked quite dark, but as it dried the effect was more subtle:

DSC_0757-2 DSC_0758 DSC_0759

 

And then it was time for the metal leaf!

I chose an imitation gold leaf for a number of reasons, but most pointedly cost (way cheaper than the real thing) and the fact that it would patina naturally over time. I wasn’t going for perfect, a rough look was sort of the goal, so the effect looks pretty shoddy at first. The “kit” I bought included an adhesive and sealer and “antique glaze” as well as a “base coat”, I experimented with all of them but eventually decided to just use the adhesive primarily, and then layer a bit of the glaze and sealer on later:

DSC_0760

 

The basic steps:

1. With a ridiculously tiny brush, line the inside of the letters with some adhesive.

2. Let that get tacky for a few mins.

3. Place down some metal leaf on top and use a soft brush to adhere it.

4. Use a coarse brush to brush away the excess and texture what leaf has ‘adhered’.

The results looked pretty good, nice and rough, though a little brilliant. The plan was for the subsequent layers of stain to reduce that intensity (the antique glaze helped a little). I applied some of the ‘sealer’ to the letters as well and I’m honestly unsure as to what effect that had.

Two views of the result:

DSC_0762 DSC_0761

 

And next up, the next round or two of staining, blood and ash!


bookbinding – imprinting the title, headbands

Little behind but things are coming along well. I acquired some simple leather-stamps to imprint text on the cover, and while I know I don’t have quite the right type of leather for this operation it still worked out fairly well.

The plans for the back and front covers were made well ahead of time, and some happy errors on the back cover taught me a few lessons and ended up acquiring the look I wanted.

I first placed some greaseproof paper between the cover and the text block, before brushing the leather with water:

 

 

DSC_0746

 

A few tests and some of the tools I used:

DSC_0747

 

And the cover, slightly saturated with water but mostly dry to the touch – took about 3 minutes to reach this stage. I didn’t want to over-saturate the cover and end up softening the glue, but I gather the leather needs to be damp to properly hold an imprint and not simply get “cut” by the stamp:

DSC_0748

 

Back cover, stamped, first still wet and then after it dried:

DSC_0750

 

DSC_0751

 

Front cover, before and after drying:

DSC_0752

 

DSC_0753

 

A week later the imprint has held beautifully, even if it fades a bit once I begin staining/”decorating” the cover the text should just become more intense. That’s sorta this week’s project.

Something I forgot however, was headbands – these should have been added before casing in, but I improvised and it worked out ok. Lacking time and motivation to order headbands online, I used this wonderful tutorial from MRX Designs to make my own, which I’ll link here for the sake of brevity:

http://mrxdesigns.blogspot.ca/2010/07/hand-sewn-headband-for-books.html

I used that basic technique and then attached them with some neutral-PH glue; I’m still confused as to what purpose they serve, historically it was to keep the “leather from being crushed when pulled off the shelf” … still reading to see how that works. For now, they look kinda pretty:

DSC_0754

 

More to come as I stain the cover and possibly attach some metal leaf to it … we shall see.